Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rocket's Progress - 15 months of Training

1.  We've mastered Sit from a distance, signal and voice.
2.  We're 95% consistent on the down, better from a slight distance than near, better with both of us moving than standing still.  Signal better than voice.
3.  Listening position is mastered - he'll go between my legs and come back to sit between my knees.  He uses my leg as a cue, no voice required.
4.  Twirl and Spin mastered up close and slightly away, but not far.  Signal and voice.
5.  Heel - we're still working on what position I want his head in at all times.  I can't decide, so of course that means that his head position isn't consistent, but he does give attention when heeling and seems to understand what the word means.  I haven't tried it with a signal.  I really need to nail down where I want his head.
6.  Front mastered at a distance of 10 feet.  We're still working on longer distances, but he knows what it means - I can shift positions and turn away when he's coming at me and he'll front no matter where I am.
7.  Finishes - eh.  I've shown him two different signals, so that's my fault.  I can't decide if I want him to get up in the air to get around or if he's good on the ground. 
8.  Dumbbell - yay for dumbbell!  He knows how to take it, get it, and hold it.  We just starting asking for fronts and jumps with a dumbbell in his mouth.  I need to get him one that's more his size, we're borrowing a dumbbell at the moment and it's not "high" enough on the ends where he can snag it and move again.
9.  Jumps - we know what over means.  The high jump is mastered, I haven't tried the bar jump yet, and the broad jump seems to throw him for a loop. We've started working on directed jumping as well, and he seems to understand the concept, but I haven't tried him past the very starting point.
10.  Recall - we know what that means!
11.  Go outs - I've been training him using a box, so he knows that when he sees a box he needs to go out and sit on it.  He's been consistently understanding the concept from all distances, and he'll usually do it on his own in between exercises if I've left the box out.  We're also going to be using a box to help him remember how to sit correctly...we're still getting sloppy sits at times...of course my fault.
12.  Agility wise, we've mastered all of the equipment except the teeter - haven't done it yet.  Weaves aren't consistent either, but we don't practice agility as often as we train Obed, so that's to be expected.  He really enjoys the table and tunnels.
13.  Backing up - he can back up in front of me with a voice and signal in a straight line for about 15 feet.  Woo!  We haven't done as much practice in heel position, but he's shown that he can also back up in heel for 5-6 steps.
14.  Stand for Exam - no issues so far!  I'd say it's mastered.

We've still got a lot of work ahead of us, but I think it's going well!  I'm using the clicker more and more to really reward him precisely - I've found that his understanding doesn't come about because he just doesn't get it, but because I don't reward him for *exactly* what I want.  I've trained the dumbbell in it's entirety with a clicker, and I've started using the clicker for his heeling.

He's such a joy to work with.  I love this dog!

1 comment:

  1. Jeeze, way to put me to shame! I need to get back to working with my two. Haha, I suddenly realize what a slacker I've been.

    ReplyDelete