Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fun Matches Galore

DMOTC had fun matches last Sunday and today....it let me see what problems I still have with Ruby and what I still need to work on with Rocket. 

Ruby - FRONTS.  For pete's sake...how many times have we been playing the front game?  I need to do more doodling with her and teaching her what she needs to do with her entire body...she's just been weird on recalls.  She doesn't want to sit in front on her own, she wants me to tell her where to go.  So somewhere along the line I didn't A) teach her exactly what front meant or B) taught her, let her learn it, but then "fixed" it so much that she isn't sure of herself anymore.  I think B may be my problem.  Also, I've noticed that her performance leaves a lot to be desired when I take her and Rocket to the club, so I may have to spend more one on one time with her.  Stand seems to also be an issue, so I'll keep working on it.  She'll stand for exam no problem, but getting her to stand from a sit can be iffy sometimes.

Rocket - We'll continue to work on our heeling and attention.  I feel like he heels well without keeping his head up, but I'd like for his head to be up.  His figure eight was really nice!  All of the work we've been doing on making his back end move is really showing.  He knows how to front on a recall pretty well, so we'll polish that, and keep working on his finishes.  His stand for exam is solid (Thank you conformation!)  His off leash heeling actually isn't that bad, but again I want his head up.  He pays too much attention to what's going on around him (A Doberman that pays attention to it's surroundings?  WEIRD.)  Also, he's still convinced that wanting to sniff everyone around his is what he should be doing on a sit/down stay.  I'm thinking about going way back to the basics on it so he won't shift - I want him to sit still and keep on his side on a down stay and not want to sniff at other dogs or worry about what's going on around him.

We have a trial next weekend, but since it's Thanksgiving weekend, I'm going to visit my parents.  I wish I could go...it'd be nice to get another RN leg for Ruby, but family is more important than a dog show....

No comments:

Post a Comment