Saturday, January 14, 2012

First Agility Trial

I'm calling it that, because I paid for entry fees.  :)

I entered a NADAC trial this weekend, just to see what Rocket and I would be able to handle.  I only entered Jumpers, and it was the last class of the day.  Knowing that my dog has a tendency to get wound up and then sulk when he's not given something to do, I left him in his crate all day, with the exception of two potty breaks and a short warmup on a jump.

He was doing great during our warm up.  I put him away to walk the course, and somehow, in 5 minutes, a horny, disobedient assclown took the place of my well behaved, ready to tackle a course dog.

We were at the starting line.  "Good Luck" says the judge.  I take off his leash, give him a wait, and take a two jump lead out.  I call him.....and he took off.

Not over the first jump.  Or the second.  Or the third.  Do you see a pattern?  We completed NO jumps out of a 15 jump course.  Instead, we visited the leash runner, scared the crap out of a sheltie too close to ring gating, made a beeline for the judge, and then left the ring to sniff another sheltie.

On the plus side, he did come back to me when I called him from in the ring while he was out of it?

Keep your fingers crossed that we can get at least 1 jump tomorrow!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, it must have been so excited! Tomorrow is another day ;)

    ReplyDelete