Saturday, October 23, 2010

Another successful Saturday for Rocket

Since most of my training experience comes from Ruby, Rocket has always seemed easy - a dog that's willing to please and likes having a "job" to do.  My failure with him is I can't keep up - I'm pretty sure I'm holding him back from being more successful, faster - since I'm still a Novice A handler.

My main issue with him is his attention span.  He's still an immature dog, so I've been doing everything I can to reward him for looking at me and paying attention to me.  I try hard not to correct him much - I want everything new to start with fun and the realization that mistakes are mistakes - Mom doesn't love you any less, and we can keep working.

He's still intact.  He's hasn't been shown in a long time - we're waiting for him to fill out and mature.  His love of girls has only gotten stronger with time, and some days I wish I could neuter him.  I think his need to investigate everything girl related has thrown off his eating habits, and he'll go a day or two without eating.  He's so distracted by everything he'll refuse to eat - so instead of the 80+ lbs he should weigh, I think he's only tipping the scales at ~70.  I can't get weight on him - I swear anything he gets besides TOTW/Orijen and his training treats makes him sick.

On to his successes today - he's starting to realize that drop means drop.  I worked on some fronts, and he's starting to sit really close first instead of me asking him to fix it.  We did a little bit of box work, so he can learn how to sit properly and what heel actually means.  I was lucky enough to find a piece of spare wood in the garage that is a perfect size for his butt, but it's really slick.  I'm going to ask Earl next Thursday where we put the extra matting when we replaced the floor at the club so I can nail it to our box.  We did a few finishes - very nice!  A little heeling as well, and he's starting to get the idea of where his head needs to stay.  A figure eight or two, all very nicely done.  Some broad jump work - also well done for a beginner.  We did some retrieve over the high jump as well - he likes to jump, so I don't think I'll have any issue with the broad or high jump.  We've started our "get out" game too, for utility go outs - he's starting to pick up the command.  We're using a box as a marker, and he's getting sharp at taking off for the box, turning, and sitting - all very quickly - and waiting for a reward.

The best part was at the end of our session.  I was helping Sonia, being a good distraction while she was working Chance's broad jump - Chance LOVES the dumbbell.  Rocket was playing with his reward for a good day - his snake toy loaded with squeakers.  Rocket watched Chance go after our practice dumbbell twice and decided enough was enough - that was OUR dumbbell.  I threw the dumbbell again, and Rocket took off after it - picked it up - and did a victory lap.  Of course we went crazy with cheers, and he felt his job was done...until Sonia wanted to work on Chance's retrieve on the flat.  He realized that he really wanted Chance's dumbbell, and so he took off after it - only to realize that it's a lot heavier than our practice dumbbell.  We waited him out - he finally figured out how to pick it up - and decided to do another victory lap.  I called him, and he came back with the dumbbell in his mouth and held it for me!  Again, cheers ensued.

Sonia wanted me to try and get Rocket to get the dumbbell and come back over the jump.  On his second successful "take it", he did two victory laps and came back over the jump - then waited for me to ask him to give it.  I'm pretty sure I don't give him enough credit.  I know he's a very smart dog, but I didn't realize that he'd watch and learn, and then pick it up so quickly.  His willingness to try new things and keep an upbeat attitude never ceases to amaze me.  Both him and Allie offer behaviors when they want something...but he's much more persistent in regards to things he wants.  I've watched him offer my husband 6 behaviors, and when my husband didn't give up the toy he wanted after the 6th, he offered one that I had only taught him once - dead dog.

He's the dog that I see possibly getting an OTCH.  I can't wait to see what our future brings.  For know, I think I'll settle for his CH.

No comments:

Post a Comment