Monday, November 21, 2011

Fun at Sch and random other dog-ness

Schutzhund yesterday was interesting.  We had a chance to watch dogs from all levels work - from those getting ready for their IPO to a 5 month old still on a rag.  The training methods are from one end of the spectrum to the other, but I was especially tickled to watch the helper clicker train his Obed portion on his GSD.  :)

Have I mentioned how much I hate having intact bitches around when I'm training to show or train my dog?  Any chance of success almost goes straight down the crapper.  I will say, though, that Rocket did better with the helper the second time around, and he was only one dog behind the bitch in heat that was all over the ring.

Anyhow, he did a good job for his first time ever.  The helper was really nice and knew what he was talking about - and didn't give a rip that my dog had never done this.  We're starting with some burlap on a line - tossing it around, dragging it on the ground, etc.  Rocket had a few moments where he went up and at it, which is good!  He was complimented on his grip - when he wasn't trying to bat the thing out of the air with  his feet.

All in all it was a lot of fun!  It's definitely an all day event, though.  I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of progress we make.  It's great to spend time with other dog people and talk drive, motivation, and goals.

The food saga continues.  The Pro Plan made Rocket extremely oily, so when I went to Theisen's I had planned on trying California Natural.  Low and behold, there was Canidae on the shelf for the same price as Pro Plan - I completely forgot about it!  Better ingredients, good amount of calories, but not grain free - which is what I was going for.  I also got him started on probiotics again, and will introduce fish oil when I'm sure his stomach is good with the Canidae switch.  So far, so good - he's hoovering it, no upset stomach, no gas, nothing.  Which is good, because we've got a show in two weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Canidae, good choice! Until I read that part, I was going to tell you about how I had liked Elka on one of the California Natural options, but I've really (I think) only heard good things on Canidae. Hope it agrees with Rocket!


    Kudos to that person doing the Obedience with a clicker! really like to hear about that.

    ReplyDelete